An error appears that states "Your changes cannot be saved. Windows User Access Control is preventing changes to ZCB configuration files."
What's going on?
Windows User Access Control (UAC) is a security feature introduced in Windows Vista, and is present in every Windows version released since.
Settings for ZCB are stored in configuration files with the extension ".conf". At its highest level, UAC will prevent users–even users with administrator permissions–from altering .conf files.
The problem can be resolved in two ways: lower the UAC security level or run ZCB as Administrator. Choose the method that best complies with your IT security policies.
Lower the UAC Security Level
Lowering the UAC security level will allow ZCB to write to its configuration files.
- Open the Windows Control Panel.
- Go to System and Security.
- Select User Account Control Settings.
- Lower the UAC Security Level and press OK.
Run ZCB as Administrator
To run ZCB as Administrator, simply right-click the shortcut and choose Run as Administrator.
If you wish to always launch ZCB as Administrator:
- Right click the shortcut and select Properties.
- Choose the Compatibility tab.
- Check the box labeled Run this program as an administrator.