This article applies if:
- You are performing a File System backup
- Files and folders located on a a mapped drive become unselected.
- The checkmarks may vanish after saving, after re-opening ZCB, or when switching backup sets
What's going on?
ZCB gets its list of files and folders from the Windows registry.
Mapped drives are assigned a drive letter in the registry, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network. Drive letters are usually listed in upper case. However, in some circumstances, the drive letter may be placed into the registry in lower case.
ZCB expects the upper-case entry. This conflict leads to the checkmarks vanishing from the chosen files/folders on the mapper network drive.
Change the drive letter entry in the registry from lower case to upper case.
- Open the Start Menu.
- Enter regedit in the search box and press enter.
- In Windows XP and Server 2003, you must enter regedit in the Run... box.
- The registry editor will appear.
- Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network
- In the tree on the left side, locate the lower case drive letter that corresponds to your network drive.
- The drive letter must be changed to upper case. However, it cannot be changed from lower case to upper case directly.
- For example, you change directly from x to X. You must first change the drive letter to another letter that is not in use.
- For example, change from x to Z.
- Then you can change from Z to X.
- Repeat these steps for any other lower-case drive letters.