When installing ZCB, you receive the following error:
- Error 1722: Zmanda Cloud Backup installation failed. Either (1) Backup user "amandabackup" could not be created or (2) System is loaded and catalog could not be created in 30 seconds or (3) Security/Anti Virus software is preventing creation of Windows services. Search Zmanda Knowledgebase for more information.
- Error 1603 will sometimes appear after you dismiss error 1722.
What's going on?
Many tasks are performed while installing ZCB. These tasks include creation of several Windows services, creation of a user account named amandabackup, creation of ZCB's backend database, and more. If any of these processes fail, error 1722 will appear.
Error 1722 can have several different root causes. This article will discuss the three most common causes for error 1722, as well as one uncommon problem caused by a failed installation or partial uninstallation of ZCB.
Common causes for error 1722
The text shown when error 1722 appears describes the three most common causes for the error:
- The amandabackup user could not be created.
- Please verify that new user accounts can be created on the local machine or domain.
- If the amandabackup user already exists, please delete the user and try again.
- The server is under a heavy load, causing the installation processes to time out and fail.
- If your server is under a heavy load, please reduce the load or install ZCB at a later time when the server is more responsive.
- Interference by security software can block installation of the program itself and/or its services.
- Common culprits include anti-virus software, anti-malware software, and group policy objects (GPOs) designed to block installation of software and/or services.
- Disable your security software and/or whitelist the Zmanda Cloud Backup install processes.
Error 1722 appears when ZCB is installed following a failed installation or uninstallation.
When an installation fails, or when ZCB is uninstalled, all of ZCB's related services should be removed by the system.
In some rare cases, one or more of the following services will not be removed.
- ZCB Service
- ZWC Service
- If the previous installation was of ZCB 4.7 or earlier, this service will be named ZWC-MySQL
When ZCB is next installed, it will attempt to create all of these services. This attempt will fail because the service already exists, and error 1722 will appear.
Leftover files, folders, and registry entries can also result in an error 1722 failed installation.
This particular issue is most common when upgrading from old versions of ZCB to newer versions.
Remove leftover program files
- Locate the folder where you installed ZCB and delete any remaining program files and folders.
- If you have local backups, please copy this folder to another location before deletion.
- If you are using Windows Vista, 2008, or later, also delete all files and folders in C:\ProgramData\Zmanda\Zmanda Cloud Backup(x64)\
Remove leftover services
Any and all leftover services from the previous installation must be removed.
- Verify if any of the above services are listed in the Windows Services Panel
- Stop any of those services that are running.
- If more than one is listed, ZWC-Database should be stopped last.
- Run the ZCBInstallCleanup tool from an elevated command prompt.
- Please note that you should run the ZCBInstallCleanup tool that corresponds to the version of ZCB you need to remove.
- To remove ZCB components for version 4.8 and higher
- To remove ZCB components for version 4.7 and lower
- Refresh the Services list.
- If all of the leftover services are gone, retry your installation.
- If any services remain, continue to the next step.
- If one or more Services are still present, you must delete the service manually from an elevated command prompt with the command: sc delete name_of_service
- Remove any spaces from the service name when using the sc delete command.
EXAMPLE: sc delete ZCBService
There will be one of three responses to the sc delete command.
- ACCESS DENIED: The command was not run from an elevated command prompt. The sc delete command must be run from an elevated command prompt. Please try again.
- SUCCESS: Refresh the Services list. If the deleted service is still present, a reboot of the system is required to complete the removal of the service.
- THE SERVICE HAS BEEN MARKED FOR DELETION: A reboot of the system is require to complete the removal of the service.
- Once all left over services have been removed, please retry your installation.
- If it still fails, open an elevated command prompt.
- Run the ZCBInstallCleanUp tool that corresponds to the previous ZCB installation from an elevated command prompt, and add the -D argument to the end.
The -D argument causes the Cleanup tool to remove everything assocated with ZCB, including all files, registry entries, services, and the amandabackup user. Backups on the local disk will be deleted also if they are in the default directory.
- Reboot the server. A reboot is required to finalize cleanup of components such as registry entries.
- Retry installation.
If installation of ZCB still fails after following all of the above steps, please contact support. Provide your support representative with ZCBInstallLogFile.txt file, found in the Windows %TEMP% folder.